Concord Point Lighthouse

Concord Point Lighthouse in Havre de Grace, Maryland, was built in 1827, making it the second oldest standing lighthouse in the state. The conical, 36-foot tower was built of stone that was barged down the Susquehannah River from Port Deposit. In 1918, the light was automated. After that, the property changed hands at least 10 times and for a while served as a rooming house, restaurant, and bar. 

The light was decommissioned in 1975, and by 1979, a citizens group called the Friends of Concord Point Lighthouse was formed. Today, the lighthouse and keeper’s house are open to the public on weekends from April through October. Our guests today are Bill McIntyre, who is on the board of directors for the lighthouse and is also a local historian, and Carie Palmer, who is coordinator for volunteers, events, visitor services, and customer success.

Submitted by nelights on